Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Pound Cake


After the baking failures over the weekend, I thought I should keep it simple. The first recipe I flagged from my lovely new book was the Blue Ribbon Pound cake. I adapted it and made it in cupcake size to share at work.


Pound Cake

makes 30-36 cupcakes


1 cup or 2 sticks butter
1 cup shortening
2 1/2 cups sugar
6 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk

Preheat the oven at 300F. C
ream the butter and shortening until pale before adding in the sugar and beating until fluffy. Add in the eggs one at a time until well combined then add in the vanilla extract. In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and salt together. Add the sifted mixture in three additions, alternating with the milk in two additions. Scoop into cupcake liners.
Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes, covering with foil if the tops get over browned.

Verdict: This totally satisfied my craving for a simple cake and it was lovely eaten with jam. The sugar in the recipe can be increased by up to 1/2 a cup if the cake is not going to be served with something sweet.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got my package! Thank you so much! I had trouble getting comments to post before.. :(
I am going to try the recpe this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Lovely and delicious looking pound cakes :)

Anonymous said...

oh..and...
I tagged you at my blog.

Peabody said...

Pound cake is always a classic. It is darn close to the being the most versitile dessert there is.