Saturday, July 7, 2007

My kitchen towel on a string

I chuckled when I read about Show Us Your Apron on IMBB. I don't use an apron in the traditional sense of it protecting me from splatters or accidents during cooking. Of course, if it does then that's a bonus. My 'apron' is primarily used for me to dry or wipe my hands during food preparation.

I wash my hands very often when baking or cooking. Since all I really need is to tie a kitchen towel to myself so that its handy, I sew my own aprons. They are made from a kitchen or tea towel with a strip if binding sewn on one of the longer sides.

I go through about 2 of my aprons per cooking session. I started with the 2 striped ones which now look rather grubby despite repeated washes so I've had to make new ones. Here are all my very functional aprons!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's very simple and logic but it never cross my mind to do simply that :) I have 3 beautiful aprons in cupboard ... they are so pretty that I didn't want to dirty them.

Eunice said...

Me too! I have beautiful Martha Stewart kitchen towels that I couldn't bear to make into aprons so they're still in the drawer waiting to make an appearance.

Ilva said...

Thanks a lot for this entry! I have been thinking about doing it this way for some time now but I never get around to get the sewing machine out, it's perfect for aprons! Now I hope your post will push me to finally do it it!

tammy said...

What a great idea! Wish I wasn't so lazy.

Brilynn said...

I usually just tuck a kitchen towel into my belt, but this makes much more sense...

Simona Carini said...

Very nice!