Thursday, May 24, 2007

Lemon Sour Cream Cake

I've been so busy fufilling various orders for cupcakes and more Snickerdoodle muffins that I had to take a break and bake something lemony.

I went back to the first lemon recipe that I had ever adapted and baked just to see if it was as good as I vaguely remembered.

Part of the batter was baked in mini loaf tins and part of it in my new silicone mini rose moulds. The loaves turned out well but the roses looked as if caterpillars had bored holes into them.


Lemon Sour Cream Cake
makes 4 mini loaves or 24 cupcake size cakes

250g or 2 sticks butter
2 cups sugar
6 eggs
2 1/4 cups flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
200g sour cream
1 lemon's zest

Preheat oven at 325F. Cream the butter and sugar until almost white. Beat in the eggs before adding in the sifted flour and baking soda together with the sour cream. Combine well and finally mix in the zest. Separate batter into 4 mini loaves
Bake mini loaves for 60 minutes, loosely covering with foil after 40 minutes to prevent burning the top of the loaves. If making mini cakes, bake for 40 minutes.

The original recipe instructed for the cake to be baked in a 10-inch round cake pan for 90 minutes.

Verdict: The cake is moist with a mild lemony flavour. It keeps well and is great served with a light dusting of icing sugar. However, after having had the Ultimate Lemon Pound Cake, this pales in comparison and I will only probably make this again if I wanted a cake with a lighter lemon flavour.

1 comment: