Thursday, February 26, 2009

Old School Rum Ball


Every now and again, I get a craving for rum balls which are quite hard to find in our local bakeries. I've been getting my fix from L.E. Cafe which still sells some really retro baked goods.

I searched online for recipes but haven't found anything yet. Please send me a link if you come across any.

These rum balls have a soft but firm ganache-like center. There are no wafers or nuts in the recipe although I did bite into a random raisin. The center is also lightly laced with rum while the outside is coated with a thin shell of chocolate. I've also seen versions where the outside is covered in chocolate rice.

I'm pretty sure this recipe is not baked. It definitely needs to be refrigerated to be best enjoyed. Until I can make my own, I'll just have to keep buying them when the craving strikes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The centers look great! This are the first rum balls I've seen, so I bet they are hard to find.

Anonymous said...

I am searching for this recipe too, that's how I found your blog-- here's the one I found that sounds close: http://www.foodfixe.com/foodfixe/chocolate-ganache-truffles.html

Please let me know if you find a closer recipe. I remember my grandma bought these somewhere when I was a kid, I have looked every christmas but can't find any that are quite the same. thanks! fordtrckcowgrl@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I figured I'd leave you another link I just found: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/chocolate-rum-balls-recipe/index.html good luck!!! :)

Bernard said...

Yes, rum balls is hard to find in local groceries. I usually buy it online.